Saturday, November 09, 2002

It's not like I don't have anything to say. I just wish this "high-speed internet" service worked! I had it installed last Saturday, and only today am I getting it going well enough (i.e. continuously, and with more than just a dead snail's pace) to make any headway.

Rogers had been completely down in this area for more than 24 hours. And that was a relief, since it was less frustrating than the surfing speed I had been enduring for the previous four days. This is cable modem service. In Windsor, that translates to 1500-2200 kbps. So far, the best I've experienced (i.e. right this minute) is just over 300kbps. Yesterday, my speed test registered 17kbps - that's right, about 1/4 the speed of a telephone modem. I knew no-one would believe me, so I took screen shots of the results and brought them to work. That got a lot of laughs, but it's really not funny! Needless to say, I've not been too crazy about the idea of paying premium rates for this "service". And Rogers seems to agree! They've told me they'll credit the entire period between November 2nd and whatever date I call to say service is acceptable! I think that's very big of them. Let's see if they actually come through with that promise.

Work this week went extremely well. I'm getting used to Toronto, and my wife has begun shopping (over the internet) for houses. She'll be coming to Toronto soon for my company Christmas party. If she gets an offer of employment from my boss during that visit, we may decide to accelerate the timetable for her move.

I finally got the box spring for my bed tonight. When the bed first arrived last Friday, the box spring wouldn't fit down the basement stairs. I had to return the original one for a split box spring. So tonight will be my first night in a real bed since moving to my new place. I never thought I'd get excited about sleeping in a bed, but I really am. And in two weeks, I'll take delivery of the loveseat and kitchen chairs. For now, I'll continue to eat my meals on the computer table and watch TV from a very uncomfortable hard-backed chair.

Alright, I guess it's time to sign off. Have a great weekend!

No comments: