Friday, June 04, 2004

Boris and Natasha

I am blogging during working hours. Trust me, this post is worth it.

I remember watching Rocky and Bullwinkle as a child. Boris and Natasha were my favourite characters. The line "in with the bad air, out with the good" has always stuck with me. And today it's so apropos. In yesterday's visit to my father, I neglected to mention a couple of things. I didn't leave them out on purpose... they just slipped my mind.

My dad had a bone marrow test yesterday (results still pending), and he had a blood transfusion.

So, just now, I got a call from my sister at the hospital. Unbelievable. It had to be the transfusion. Take some good, clean wholesome blood, feed it to someone with low platelets, blood infection, and possible bone marrow disease, and what do you get? An 84 year old man who wants to get out of bed (for the first time in weeks), stroll around the hospital with a wheeled walker (the regular kind didn't go fast enough for his liking), go to the bathroom like a real man and start joking around like the man we all know he is!

Of course, I've seen this level of recovery before, and I'm not going to allow my spirits to be lifted too high until I see how long-lived this new condition will be. But now, at least, there is hope.

Now, I've got to get back to work.

No comments: