Sunday, January 23, 2005

I'm a great uncle

My niece had a baby girl on January 13th, the sixth month anniversary of my father's death. I didn't want to say anything until she had been named, and I thought I'd be posting pictures. At the request of the baby's grandmother, no pictures will be posted; however, I think I'm allowed to share her name. She will be called Sarit Atara (Hebrew name), which is somehow related to, or derived from the "S" in "Israel", my late-father's name; and Atara, which was her late-greatgrandmother's name.

I believe she will be known as Sari Kayla in English.

Thankfully, my father had been told of the pregnancy prior to his passing, so I'm sure he's upstairs somewhere looking after the welfare of his namesake.

Correction

An email received from my sister should make clearer the significance of the names. I suppose I should have asked someone who knows Hebrew to explain it in the first place.

The baby's name Sarit is taken from the Torah. In Genesis Chapter 32 Verse 29:

(The angel says) "What is thy name? And he said, Ya'aqov. And he
said, Thy name shall be called no more Ya'aqov, but Yisra'el (Israel): for
thou hast CONTENDED (Sarita) with G-d and with men, and hast prevailed."

The name Atara is the Hebrew version of the Yiddish "Kraindel" meaning "crown"
Aaron's grandmother (his father's mother) was named "Kraindel".


No comments: