Thursday, February 06, 2003

That's Jesse, not Jessie

I don't know how often this happens in the "real world", but in my circle, it's happened twice (that I know of). I have a niece and nephew (brother and sister) whose names are biblical. When my niece married, the groom's name was the same as her brother's. Needless to say, when people talk to me about "Aaron & Naomi", I never know whether they're referring to brother/sister or husband/wife.

Now, it's happened again. My eldest daughter is Jessie. My other daughter (new mother, Christie) is engaged to be married to the baby's father (Jesse). I've not spoken much about Jesse, and I don't have a lot of time to do it now. Suffice to say that I have a lot of respect and admiration for this young fellow. Not only was he the only friend to Christie after she was abandoned by the father of her first child... turns out he had been in love with her from afar, and being the gentleman he was, did not want to "break up" the romance between Christie and her ex in order to express his interest.

Like I said, a classy guy. And he stepped right up and took an interest not only in Christie, but in Courtney. Courtney calls him "daddy" and their mutual love is plain to see.

What brought me to this extraordinarily out-of-character musing? The fact that Emily bears Jesse's last name! I look forward to the wedding and the official change of surname for Courtney.

Update

My sister (Aaron and Naomi's mother) read my blog and sent an email in response. Here's a portion of that email: "By the way, Aaron's brother has been dating a girl he likes very much-named Erin, and his sister is dating a guy she'll probably marry whose name is David. So some day Naomi could have a biological father David, a step-brother David and a brother-in-law David, a husband Aaron, a brother Aaron and a sister-in-law Erin.

No comments: