Saturday, November 30, 2013

Fong's Fountain Fuck

Fong's Fountain Fuck

I'd like to start out by saying that Fong's Villa in Tecumseh, Ontario is a pleasant place to eat.  The food is good, the servers are attentive, and the owner, while a bit opinionated, is quite a nice person.

Fong's is a restaurant, not a bar (although it does have a bar area where drinks are prepared for service to the table area).

Soft drinks at Fong's come from a fountain.  They charge two rates (for small or large glasses).  I estimate that, after accounting for ice in the glass, the large glass probably holds between 5 and 6 oz. of beverage.  They charge $2.00 for this glass.

Most (but unfortunately, not all) restaurants which serve fountain drinks provide free refills.  Not Fong's.  Consuming four glasses of pop (the equivalent of one "medium" cup at a fast food restaurant) cost me $8.00.  Putting that into perspective, my main entree only cost $9.50.

I don't eat at Fong's very often, and I always wonder why.  And every time I finish a meal and get the bill, I remember the answer.

Fong's runs a gold mine, but I get the shaft.


No comments: