Saturday, December 07, 2013

Point, Counter-Point

Point, Counter-Point

My last post was uncharacteristically harsh, despite it being accurate.  Today, I have a counter-point.

My friends and I had lunch at the Pomegranate Restaurant.  We've eaten there before, and immediately upon entering, I was asked whether I wanted a diet cola.

The fountain drink was served in an unusually large glass (at least 20 oz. by my estimate).  Part-way through the meal, with about 3 - 4 oz. or so still in the glass, the server removed it from the table to top it off.

The cheque at the end of the meal did not include a charge for the pop.  I brought this to the server's attention, and she reassured me that it had been her intent not to charge.  Knowing that refills are free at this restaurant, I still wanted to know what it would have cost, had I been billed.  Her answer was $1.95.

She also added that soft drinks are normally served in a somewhat smaller glass, but she knew that I would be ordering several refills, so decided to start with a much larger glass to save her the time of refilling it multiple times.

Now, that's a smart policy, from a restaurant that continues to earn my admiration on every visit.

No comments: