Thursday, June 12, 2014

Ontario Election Day

Ontario Election Day

Today is election day in Ontario.  It is just past 9:00PM - the polls have just closed.

I voted, and I hope you did too.

Before I indulge my overwhelming desire to look at a news site to see who won the election (both province wide and in my own riding), I wanted to say a few things...

I've been reading about people who don't vote, and the supposed illegitimacy of the entire system - where "leaders" can be elected, despite the fact that fewer than 50% of voters actually cast their vote.

Whose fault is that?

As I see it, there is only one reason people don't vote:  Cynicism

Many people would disagree, arguing that a majority of people don't vote because they're apathetic.  But to me, apathy is just a form of cynicism.

If people believed that their votes would have a real effect on what goes on around them, do you think they would say "Sorry, I just don't care"?  Instead, I would argue that people, as individuals, believe they DO NOT have the power to affect change - in other words, they are cynical.  They have resigned themselves to the inevitability that no matter who wins, nothing will change.

I've heard it argued that politicians - well aware that the majority of people don't bother to vote - conduct their campaigns in a way that will mobilize the minority that DO vote to come over to their side.  Whatever side that happens to be.

If potential voters were less cynical, they would take the time to dig beyond the hype, to research the platforms espoused by the various parties, and to hold up to scrutiny the voting records of their own representatives.  Yes, this would take some effort, but it would be worth it.  Taking control of your own governance is not only a right we have in a democracy - it is a responsibility we owe to ourselves, our children and our fellow citizens.

Now, I'm off to see who won...

No comments: