Monday, October 03, 2005

I've been VOIP'd

Our local cable company recently started offering telephone service using the same cable as the internet uses. I had been considering getting VOIP service from VONAGE or Packet8. There were always reasons for holding back. With the local cable company now offering the service, all my concerns were put to rest. We'll now be paying about $45 for telephone service (including unlimited long distance and the five most-used calling features). That's down from the $60+ we had been paying, and WAY DOWN from the $90+ when I was regularly calling my out of town employer. Now, even if I get a new telecommuting job, those calls will be free!

It's been installed less than an hour, and I'm already in love with the caller ID feature and clear voice signal.

Edited to add

So, I'm on the phone talking with my daughter (it's the third call since getting the service) when the internet goes down. The phone goes dead right in my ear. Just a bit disconcerting. Hopefully, this is not some kind of omen.

No comments: