Thursday, May 03, 2012

Happy Birthday, Dad

Happy Birthday, Dad

Dad last celebrated his birthday on this day in 2004.  Had he not died two months later of an infection contracted in the hospital where he was undergoing a minor, routine procedure, I have no doubt he would be celebrating his 92nd birthday today.

I miss you, big guy!

Despite thinking about him on every birthday (and times in between), this one is more emotional than most.  Back in January, 2003, my father left a "Happy Birthday" message on my sister's answering machine.  She never erased that message.  Recently, she taped that message and had it transferred to a CD.  This past weekend, I visited her in Toronto, and she presented me with a copy of that CD for my own birthday.

I've since added some photos to it to make a video presentation.



I confess that I wasn't as "moved" as she was by hearing the CD.  It was warm and cute, but not terribly nostalgic... until today.  Hearing his voice, picturing his mischievous smile and the sparkle in his eye as he recorded that message... and realizing that it could be me, singing the same song to him for his birthday... it was all too much.  I just finished my little cry, and thought I'd share.

No comments: