Monday, June 18, 2012

You go girl!

You go girl!

I've never seen Mary Spencer box.  I've only read in our local paper about her amazing achievements.  So, it was with sadness that I noted the three-time world champion's first-round loss in the Olympic qualifier match in China last month.  It meant that her dream of representing Canada in Great Britain on the women's boxing team (a sport newly added in this year's competition) was over ... unless she was granted a wild-card berth.

Today, officials announced that Mary was the winner of the wild-card slot.  It's a good (and fair) decision, taking into account Mary's standing within the world amateur boxing community.  After all, she had been ranked #1 in the world prior to her shocking loss at the qualifier.

I won't watch the Olympic Games.  In my personal estimation, they are right up there with March madness when it comes to disrupting my TV watching experience.  But I will be rooting for Mary Spencer.


No comments: