Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Is this what it feels like to have alzheimer's

Is this what it feels like to have alzheimer's

Right this minute, as I write this post, I am suffering from memory loss.  Hopefully, it's fleeting.

One sentence into this post, I've already changed what I wanted to say, because the words to express what I'm really feeling elude me.  I was in the middle of reading an online news story on the Canadian Jewish News website about a Water-themed art exhibit in my home town.  The photo accompanying the story showed many members of the community - virtually all who are familiar to me.

And I couldn't remember a single person's name.  I have this memory trick for remembering names.  I close my eyes, and go through the entire alphabet, visualizing people's names as if they appeared in a Rolodex.  It never fails to work - if I don't remember someone's name (assuming I was familiar with them - not just a casual acquaintance) this method always works.

Indeed, it worked today as well.  But working your way through the alphabet is only useful if you're trying to remember one or two names.  This photo featured nearly 20 people, most of whom I should know, and the names just weren't popping into my head.

In the time it has taken me to get this far in the post, my memory has returned.  Even though I'm not looking at the photo, the images are now coming to me, including everyone's name.

That was scary.


No comments: