Friday, June 20, 2003

Coming soon to a desk near me

For several years, I've thought about what it would be like to clear some space on my desk for things like a pad and paper. Those that know me would never accuse me of neatness, but it's not just that... it's the fact that I have a number of computers that I need to control, and when I've set up the monitors and keyboards, there's not much room left for anything else. What I really have needed is a Keyboard, Video, Mouse (KVM) switch. It's a device that allows someone to control multiple computers from a single keyboard/mouse/screen.

Soon, I'll have one of these devices. Now that I have access to wholesale prices on computer equipment (where was that recollection two weeks ago when I bought my computer retail), I decided to bite the bullet and get the damned thing. I placed my order on Thursday, and was told the switch box would be in today.

I decided to splurge and get a model that also can switch the microphone and speaker outputs as well. So, I won't have to put up with having multiple speaker systems installed - or of not being able to hear some of my computers. With this device, whichever computer I'm currently monitoring - that's the one I'll be able to hear.

No comments: