Sunday, June 22, 2003

Losses shouldn't go unnoticed

Many of you may remember the unpleasantness of last spring's blog war, when a series of misunderstandings led to an acrimonious breakdown of a budding friendship. Life goes on, of course, and except for one occasion where I couldn't stop myself from intruding where I clearly wasn't welcome, I've kept my distance.

Seven years ago, I had the unpleasant task of taking our pet to the vet for the last time. At the tender age of three, her body had been ravaged by a tumour that left her a mere shell of herself. Despite the fact that she had been "Laurie's" baby, she had won enough of a place in my heart that I cried for days after her loss.

So, I can't begin to imagine the pain of losing an animal that has been part of a family for nine years. I so want to say something comforting in this time of loss, but to do so might cause more discomfort, even bitterness. I guess I'll have to be satisfied with expressing my condolences here.

No comments: