Sunday, September 08, 2002

A spiritual day

I had decided to go to shul this year for the high holidays, even before my sister suggested it. Seems she and her husband were going to be out of town this weekend, and they were hoping I could accompany my father. He came around to pick me up this morning, and it was the start of a marvelous day.

I could tell my dad was happy that I had decided to worship. Growing up, I had been quite devout. After my failed first marriage, I lost faith in my religion for quite some time, and had stayed away from synagogue in protest (yeah, I guess I really showed Him who was boss). It's important to note that I have always felt spiritually Jewish, and throughout this difficult period of my life, I still followed through on the trappings of Judaism (kept kosher to the degree I was comfortable doing it, etc.)... I simply refused to set foot in a synagogue.

All that changed several years ago, and for a period of almost two years, I was going to shul regularly (every sabbath, as well as holidays). Then, just as suddenly as I had started going, I stopped again. I think that was about four years ago. Today was my first time in a synagogue since that time.

It's like I had never left. Everyone took the time to say hello, greeting me in a friendly, non-judgemental way. The regular chazan nodded his hello, and I joked with him: So, where have you been all this time. There were also a couple of fairly well-known people with roots in Windsor who were in town, attending shul with their fathers. I had known them in my youth but had not stayed in touch. I was surprised they remembered me, and came by to say hello.

My father and I played a game where we each hold up our hand and place our palms together. He was thrilled to see that this time, it was my hand that was the bigger of the two. As I affectionately put my arm around him and rubbed his back, I could see him smiling with love and pride. What a wonderful way to start the new year!

When the service was over, he drove me to his house, where my mother was waiting to greet me with open arms. And she had prepared a feast fit for a king. It's been years since I've had her matzoh-ball soup. I swear, of all the soups I've ever tasted, there is none to compare to hers. I hope she's passed the secrets of that recipe on to my sisters, because it would be a shame for it to be lost for eternity - it's that good!

I wished I could have stayed longer, but I really wanted to get back to my wife, to tell her about how wonderful my day had gone, and to prepare for an evening with my brother-in-law and his wife, whom we had not seen since before we moved. They're really nice people, and I looked forward to seeing them. We ate dinner with them (as a bonus, my step-son came too); then went back to our house to watch a DVD. And when the DVD was finished, we turned on a movie on cable

On Sunday, I go back for Rosh Hashana - day 2 - with my dad. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: