Thursday, March 02, 2006

An update

February ended with a flurry of activity - a saving grace because the month in general was slow vis-a-vis service calls. I did have an opportunity to work on marketing material, which, if I may say, really rocks! I've produced a number of unique flyers - with a central theme but geared to specific audiences. And I've prepared artwork for insertion into a local magazine. I'm looking forward to the response from that ad, although it won't be appearing until the April issue. My luck that February-March was a double-month issue, and the insertion deadline had passed by the time I had even been prepared to think about placing an ad.

A fellow "classmate" of mine opened up a café in downtown Windsor. It's called the Pause Café. Last night, I was called there to remove a very serious set of viruses, spyware, and other weirdnesses from two computers. He was set to open his doors today, but needed the computers for bookkeeping and recipe management. I finished working on his computers around 10:30PM, but then decided to set up his brand new Business High-Speed DSL connection, and once that was done, I downloaded security patches for one of the computers. There were 57 patches, not including Windows XP SP2 (which was not yet on his computer). By the time the downloads and installations were complete, it was around 3:30AM.

Those last five hours were not part of my contract, and I didn't ask for payment. But today, I visited his restaurant, and was treated to a three course lunch that was to die for!!! I started out with a salad (cucumber, red onion, greens, and a secret dressing). It was delicious, and filling in its own right. The next course was a deep bowl of home made chicken soup. I've never had soup from a bowl this large... it was probably about a litre of soup. Stocked with vegetables, fresh pasta, and chicken so fresh, I think I saw some twitching in the bowl. It was accompanied by fresh-baked bread for dipping. Finally, I finished with the third course: a salmon-salad sandwich, made from baked salmon and other ingredients I can't recall, served on multi-grain bread. It was different from any salmon-salad sandwich I'd ever had before, but thoroughly delicious.

If anyone happens to be downtown during breakfast or lunch hour, don't forget to drop by. You'll love the food and the ambience. The address is:

Pause Café
74 Chatham West
(519) 255-7288

No comments: