Sunday, July 24, 2011

If it ain't broke, don't break it!

I went into my Windows Live Mail account today and saw a whole bunch of useful emails (no, really) that were sent by a company that I use for some of my domain registrations. I decided it would be a good idea to create an email filter, so that emails coming from this company wouldn't get overlooked in my general inbox and could be placed into their own folder.

I've created email filtering rules lots of times, so it's not like I don't know how to do it. Yet, when I tried to create a "New" filtering rule, nothing happened.

I lock my browser down pretty tightly, requiring permission to run scripts, display popups, etc. So naturally, I thought there might be a problem with that. Well, no matter what I allowed, the darn filtering rule screen would not appear.

So, I switched to Internet Explorer, a browser I avoid like the plague. Still, with this being a Microsoft product, I expected it would work with their own email program. NOT!!

I then searched to see if I was the only person having this problem, and thankfully, came across a post from someone who had not only experienced the problem, but had found a way around it. It seems that Microsoft, having made some change to Windows Live Mail, broke the filtering mechanism.

Click here for his excellent solution. I should say that, in order for his solution to work, I had to access my hotmail account using Internet Explorer, since the described solution did not apply to Firefox.

No comments: