Wednesday, August 23, 2017

It's Karma

There's no other explanation.  Within the past 36 hours, two of the material objects I use most have gone kaput.  First, it was my car - which lit the "engine service" indicator while I was driving to an appointment.

It was already Monday evening, so I couldn't bring it to the dealer.  But, I did call for a Tuesday appointment.  After charging me $150.00 to run a diagnostic, they told me the oxygen sensor in my engine was shot.  I could opt for a repair, or I could wait, since that sensor is used to optimize the air/fuel ratio but the car will still run without the repair.  I declined the repair, since I don't really have spare funds at the moment.

Fast forward to a few moments ago.  As I turned on my TV, my entertainment system's UPS decided to die.  The upshot is it caused the currently recording program to be interrupted, rebooted my DVR and there is *no* control on the box that allowed me to shut off the alarm.  So, I had to unplug it - putting all my equipment out of service.

So now, I'm wondering what I did to deserve this punishment.  Nothing really comes to mind.  Am I being paranoid?  The fact that I'm asking should be a clue.

I may be able to live without a fuel-optimized vehicle, but there's no way I can go a day without my entertainment system.  Today will be an expensive day!

UPDATE:

After posting this message, I noticed that my blog page looked like crap.  I thought it was because Google has recently forced the content to be https (secure), and that might be the reason why all the graphics disappeared.  But NO, it's not Google's fault.  Instead, it's my Internet Service Provider, who in their infinite wisdom decided to delete the web hosting space associated with my email accounts.  Tech support says I was sent a notice by (snail) mail.  I didn't get it.  Nor, apparently, did the other people who have been posting on internet forums about the sudden (and IRRETRIEVABLE) disappearance of their files.

Yup.  It's Karma.

My blog has never been popular (unless you can call an average of one visitor a month popular) and was never meant to be.  But, without the humorous pieces of goodness collected over the past 16 years and stored on my web storage, there may not be much point in continuing this project.

UPDATE #2:

There are too many memories here to abandon the project, but my graphics and templates were all erased by my Internet Provider.  So, as of today, August 23, 2017, I'll be trying to find a new theme I like, and over time, maybe I can recover some of the humorous snippets that made this blog unique to me.

No comments: