Friday, August 02, 2002

Packing - the Devil's work

The Devil invented packing and packing material. It was invented to frustrate obsessive compulsives like myself. And I'm finding out that obsessive compulsive procrastinators make lousy packers. It has taken me the better part of three hours to pack five boxes. Worse, each box contained only one "item". The items are stereo components, and the reason for the slow progress is that I must ensure that each box looks just like it came out of the factory. That means cleaning the components, individually, on every surface. I'm glad the cotton swabs are already packed, otherwise I'd probably be "detailing" the components. As it is, a soft cloth will have to suffice. Each box is being packed with all original manuals, cables, remotes, and packing material (if this sounds familiar, it's because I went through this in the storage room - and have yet to tackle the massive number of components in the Home Theatre and my computer room). Cables are being meticulously labeled, at both ends, to ensure that rehooking the systems will not take me as long as the original configuration.

I've already resigned myself to the likelihood that I will run out of time, and have to start throwing things haphazardly together come Wednesday night. I had forgotten that we have some pressing social commitments this weekend that will eat up valuable packing time. I'm sort of glad, because I hate packing... but it does cut into the available time.

Packing, and my project have kept me so busy lately, I really haven't had much time to update my weblog. I have taken time to read through my daily list, though even the number of times I visit each page daily has been curtailed. Things should get somewhat back to normal next Friday or Saturday, after the cable guy has restored my internet connection.

No comments: