Wednesday, January 28, 2004

The bug

It came upon me suddenly. After Sunday dinner, I felt a bit queasy. I thought I had eaten too quickly, or too much. The drive home from the fast-food restaurant was difficult, as my stomach didn't feel much like being constrained by a seatbelt. But, a few hours later, I was fine.

The next morning, I woke up and had my usual breakfast, then started working. Within a couple of hours, I was feeling that queasiness again, but this time, it was worse. When lunch time rolled around, I didn't feel like eating, and skipped that meal. Good thing too! A half hour later, I found myself dry-heaving the remains of breakfast, and I kept up this behaviour intermittently for the next 8 hours. In between puking sessions, I managed to grab some rest. Dinner time came and I still wasn't in the mood for food, opting to continue sleeping. I slept, in fact, until the phone woke me up at 11:15AM Tuesday morning. It was my boss calling, wanting to know what had happened to me.

Although I had sent an email when I got my first attack, I guess I hadn't been clear that this was an extended bug, not just an inconvenient event. He sounded a bit pissed!

I tried to eat lunch Tuesday, figuring it had been more than 24 hours since I last had food or water, but I couldn't finish my lunch. It didn't feel right going down, and certainly didn't feel like it was going to stay down. By dinner time, I thought things were better, but even then, I was only able to finish half of my smaller-than-usual serving of chicken, rice, and vegetables.

It's now Wednesday morning, and I should be eating breakfast. I just don't feel very hungry, and every time I think about food, I feel like throwing up.

Whatever this is, I hope it goes away soon.

No comments: