Wednesday, February 27, 2002

Every time I visit the DSL Reports website, I am thankful that I chose to install cable-modem based internet service instead of DSL service. According to this site, which allows visitors to perform download/upload speed tests, and then allows them to store their results for comparisons among various ISPs, the cable providers seem, overall, to have a substantial edge on DSL providers.

However, during the two winter storms that have passed through this region over the past thirty days, my cable modem's availability has been drastically undercut because of downed telephone lines (and the subsequent interruption to cable service). The past three days, in particular, have been very upsetting, because I have been trying to make extensive changes to my website, and with downed cable lines, comes interruptions to my FTP capabilities. I'm not entirely sure how this is related to the weather, because I have (for the most part) been able to surf during much of the storm - I just can't seem to upload or download.

Recently, two members of our family (sister-in-law, and mother-in-law) have signed up for cable access, primarily in response to our prodding and recommendations. I only hope that they are not overly disappointed with this sub-par performance of late.

No comments: