Wednesday, January 01, 2003

Dragons everywhere

Happy New Year! I can't begin to tell you what a blast my wife and I had last night at Medieval Times. Their show has evolved significantly since our last visit well over a decade ago. And I was overjoyed when I learned that cameras ARE allowed! My only regret was that I didn't purchase the larger capacity memory card that I had considered getting for Christmas. Had I done that, I wouldn't have had to sit there trying to decide which of the 70+ pictures needed to be deleted from the camera so I could continue to take more pictures.

We got some really good shots, and quite a few blurry ones (you try using a digital camera indoors, in a dark stadium, without a flash - flashes don't do much good beyond 15 feet or so). Still, the pictures captured the spirit of the evening. All guests entering the castle were dressed in a cape with coat of arms, and photographed while posing with one of the Pages. I tried to put on a "menacing" look (as in "don't mess with me"), but my wife says it looked more like I was depressed and wished I was somewhere else.

The food was excellent (they even accommodated some of my "special dietary requirements") and the atmosphere was lively. This being a special New Year's Eve presentation, there was a live band (regrettably not a collection of 11th century minstrels - rather a 6-person rock band). We chose to leave soon after the clock struck 12, so as to avoid much of the traffic of party revellers, but it was such an exciting evening...

As a memento of the evening, my wife decided to purchase a ceramic dragon from the gift shop. There were several other things we would have liked to purchase, but settled for PHOTOGRAPHS of those items instead.

I hope all of you had a similarly entertaining New Year's Eve, and that your new year will bring happiness


No comments: