Saturday, December 06, 2003

Give me some credit

I got a letter from Visa in yesterday's mail. They were writing to inform me that my credit limit had been raised (I was only using about 1/10th of my available limit as it was); and the letter included some "cheques" that could be used to transfer balances from other cards. According to the letter, these transferred balances would get a preferred rate for the next 6 months.

These letters come all the time, but last night, I was just in a bit of a funny mood, so I decided to write back to the sender. In my response, I used a mixture of humour and light sarcasm to characterize the love-hate relationship I've had with credit-card companies over the past 30 years or so. It seems those companies love the fact that I carry a high balance and always make my payments on time. And I hate the fact that, despite my perfect payment practices, I get lumped in with the statistical masses and have to pay exhorbitant interest rates.

So, in my letter, I asked for a break. I suggested they should be perfectly happy to get a guaranteed return of 4.9% annual APR from my account, without having to worry about being stiffed; and I'd be happy to get a reduced rate. I'll let you know what they decide.

No comments: