Sunday, September 05, 2004

Did you hear the one about...

I feel foolish about not posting this earlier. Have you ever been in a situation where someone tells a joke, and then, a few minutes later, someone laughs at it as the punchline hits them?

Or you're in a conversation, and you can't think of a witty comeback, and then a few minutes later, you think of the perfect thing to say, but just can't figure out how to fit it into the current stream? Well, that's what I'm about to do...

Yesterday, at the wedding reception, the food being served was not chosen with the Jewish diner in mind. Virtually none of the entrees, as originally served, was even remotely acceptable to even a mildly observant Jew. One of the people at the table, completely innocently and in the spirit of humour, urged me to imagine the dish was something other than it really was. He told me of trips he had taken to Africa (he's someone who does charity work for African organizations) where some rather exotic meats were served. He jokingly said he just thinks of it as chicken.

As soon as he said that, it reminded me of a movie I had seen many years ago, about some high-society dining club where patrons spent a king's ransom to be served exotic (and federally protected) species of meat. I wanted to say something to him right then about this movie... but I didn't remember the name of the movie, or anything about the actors. It would have been pretty lame to respond to his comments by saying: "That reminds me of a movie I once saw". Such a response would have led to followup questions, questions for which I would likely have no answers.

So, anyway, not being one to let things like this go, I came home and went to IMDB to look up the movie. Does anyone know how difficult it is to find a movie when you don't know the title, or the actors, or even when it was made? I gave up after only a few moments of searching.

The next morning (today, Sunday), I turned on the TV just in time to see an ad for the very movie I was thinking about! No kidding... the TV hadn't been on more than 10 seconds when the ad appeared. Apparently, the movie, The Freshman is playing on Monday evening on one of the cable movie channels. Is that freaky, or what!

No comments: