Sunday, September 26, 2004

My first Yiskor

As part of the Yom Kippur service, I took part in my very first Yiskor service. It didn't take long, but it was a different experience. It's like the first time you see an 'R' rated movie... you have ideas of what it might be like, but you're not an adult yet, and you just have to live with the images of your imagination until you experience the real thing. Yiskor wasn't an earth-shattering experience, but it was touching. I noticed my sister crying, and she was the one who had made light of the service only days earlier.

In typical male fashion, I had given no prior thought to Yiskor, which meant that I hadn't thought to get a memorial candle ahead of time. Fortunately for me, my mom had an extra candle at her home, and I ended up using that. I must remember to get one of my own for the next time.

No comments: