Monday, April 18, 2011

A Hoi, matey!

Those who see me, know I love food. Those who know me, know I love sushi. Last Monday, my wife attended a lunch date at a restaurant near her place of work and when she got home, she told me it was a sushi restaurant. It's called Hoi.

I hadn't known there was a sushi restaurant in that vicinity. My favourite sushi place is several miles from my home and relatively expensive (but worth every penny). This one is much closer to where I live. So, on Tuesday, I stopped in for lunch to give this new place a try.

I'd rate the portion size of the maki rolls at about 80% of what I'm used to. The quality is about the same. What really tips the balance for me is the price... it's all-you-can-eat, so for about half of what I pay at my favourite place, I can gorge myself.

On that first visit, I limited my consumption to sushi and a few of the appetizers. Miso soup, fried dumplings, a salad, two spring rolls, two cans of Diet Coke (no fountain drinks at this place, and even canned refills are free!) and 36 pieces of delicious sushi (6 Maki rolls) all for under $15.00 (with tax and tip, the bill came to $20.00).

The next day, I decided to try dinner. Pricing was $6.00 more than lunch. I ate pretty much the same things; in addition to some other items such as chicken skewers, beef skewers, and chicken fried rice. With tax and tip, I paid $27.50.

Thursday, I took my wife with me for dinner, where we both feasted for $55.00 total. I've been back twice since Thursday. Hopefully, my obsession with this place will run out before my money does!

No comments: