Sunday, May 01, 2011

Surgery Required

I've had a weak eye for as long as I can remember. Unless I concentrate, it tends to drift off to the side. It makes it pretty hard to focus on small print. Driving is also a pain, since my brain sometimes processes two simultaneous images that can confuse me.

Monday, after years of procrastination and months of waiting for a surgical opening, I go under the knife. The plan is to loosen one eye muscle while tightening the opposite one. This should allow my eye to "naturally" drift into the centre position.

I've been told there will be double vision (of a kind my brain is not used to dealing with) that will last two weeks or more. Stitches will come out ten days after surgery, and vision should return to a "new" normal within four to six weeks.

Because of various risk factors, doctors say the general anesthetic will be more dangerous than usual, so I'm hoping there are no serious complications. But nothing is for sure.

When I post again, you'll know the surgery was successful.

No comments: