Monday, July 08, 2002

The cheque is in the mailbox

Oh happy day! My mailbox was overflowing today, and the news was all good! A total of six letters, with FOUR addressed to me from the Unemployment Bureau. Two looked like cheques, and two looked like letters. The first thing I thought was damn, they've sent everything in duplicate - now I'll have more troubles. But I panicked too soon! The two letters were official responses to my appeal. One letter said in effect you're right - you've proven that you worked LEGALLY in this country. The second (not a duplicate) said in effect you've convinced us that you're looking for work, available for work, and could even work in the U.S. again (though that is not a requirement) if you had the appropriate sponsorship.

And now for the cheques: the first one I opened was for the amount I had become aware of during my informational call. The second cheque was for the five week period PRECEDING the most recent cheque. Since both cheques had been issued on the same day, and the system is aware of only the LAST one processed, it didn't tell me that there were TWO cheques on their way. So, as of now, I have received payments for ALL WEEKS SINCE MY TERMINATION!!!

And since I continue to look for work, I know there will be up to 16 more weeks (8 cheques) available, in case I don't find work before then.

Thank you, God (and the Michigan Unemployment Agency), for turning the red-tape to invisible tape!

No comments: