Tuesday, October 22, 2002

An update

I have yet to hear from Toyota about when my car will be showing up. Hopefully, it will be by Thursday. The dealership closes too early on Friday for me to go there, and I have to return my rental car to Windsor on Saturday.

Work has been fun, but I got my first taste that things are not all rosy. Despite my best efforts, there is no way to cram 80 day's worth of programming effort into 10. According to my best estimates, a task I have been assigned should take 80 days to complete. I've been told the client is willing to pay for 10 days worth. I've used up 5 days already, and have barely put a dent in the project. I know I can't pull this off, yet all my strong hints to management are going unheeded. The more proof I furnish about the complexity of the task, the more I am told not to worry - while being chastised at the same time for falling so far behind!

I found a place to live. And there's a funny story there. I'll skip the details and get to the punchline. It's on the same block as my sister's house (where I'm staying now). The owner of the house seems like a very nice guy. I think I'm going to enjoy staying there.

No comments: