Wednesday, April 09, 2003

Hmm. Yesterday didn't go exactly as planned. I did spend a great deal of my day working on the new assignment, but that was only after I spent the first three hours of the morning working on ... wait for it ... a dog and pony show. I guess there comes a time when a potential marketing opportunity makes management salivate, and I was pressed into service trying to create a demo that would impress some potential new client.

Now, had I been given more than a single hour's notice, I think I could have probably installed my software modules onto the laptop computer, and loaded it with some data required by the application. But one hour just wasn't enough, and I made that clear as soon as I was asked to help. I'm glad I did... since it would have led to great frustration when, at the end of the allotted time, we would have been no further ahead. Instead, I was instructed to set up a different piece of software. One that, under ideal conditions, could possibly be configured in a tight timeframe.

The laptop computer is set up with an operating system, database, and version of application software that is different from the ones typically used day-to-day in our development lab. There is no direct means of transfering information from one environment to another. However, after getting suggestions from a colleague, I was able to establish a roundabout means of exporting information from one environment in a format that could be imported into the other environment. The boss had to temporarily delay his departure from our office, but in the end, he left with a working laptop.

As for the work I thought I would be working on yesterday... I made good progress on that too, because I decided to stay and work some overtime last night. Consequently, I should still be in a position to finish that assignment today.

Come Friday, I'll be heading home for the weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing the family. It's been too long.




No comments: