Sunday, April 27, 2003

A new appreciation

I'm a Beatles fan. No, not the type that can recite the lyrics to every song they've ever done, or even recite the names of every album they've ever done. I just love their music. I love the fact that the lyrics are comprehensible (OK, there may be one or two exceptions, but you get the idea). And, for the most part, I can see meaning in almost every one of their songs.

But of all the songs they'd ever written, I'm probably guilty of giving short shrift to George Harrison. Sure, I enjoyed his contribution as a lyricist. "While my guitar gently weeps" is one of my favourite Beatle songs. However, with the likes of Lennon and McCartney, George just didn't get much respect. When he started recording on his own, I didn't listen much to his records, since I didn't relate well to the Eastern culture that made up the core of his music.

Now, he's released a new album. One of the songs (I have no idea what the title is) has a couple of lines that I have found mesmerizing...

If you don't know where you're going/Any road'll take you there

I see myself so clearly in those two lines. For years, I've wandered around emotionally, spiritually, and professionally. After all these years, I can't honestly say I've really gotten anywhere. And then I heard the lyrics to that song... Though I'm not sure yet how my life will change, I believe a change is imminent. When I figure out what it is, you'll be the last to know!

No comments: