Tuesday, November 25, 2003

Bang!

At the risk of shooting myself in the foot, I've reorganized some of the pages on my FTP site. I had learned long ago that if you didn't put a default index page on each of your directories, people who surfed to your site could see all the files sitting there. I realize that a determined hacker or spider program can still find files on directories protected with an index file, but it's harder than when the door has some kind of lock.

Well, yesterday, I installed the lock. There were a few directories that didn't have an index file, and now they do. Which means that the meagre number of hits I have each day on this blog will now be reduced to maybe 10% of that total - yup, a full 90% of my visitors get here "accidentally". Reducing the traffic to only those who really want to be here is always what I had intended, since, let's face it, I wouldn't rush to a site like this to read anything significant.

Anyway, we'll see what the traffic numbers look like once my image files make their way out of Google's cache.

I may have to rename the blog to Jack's Ghostland.

No comments: