Sunday, November 09, 2003

Romance is in the air

With the imminent arrival of Christmas, the holiday movies have started. Yesterday, I saw "love actually" with my wife. I so enjoy Hugh Grant, Colin Firth, Liam Neeson and Emma Thompson. Having them all in one movie, along with cameos by Rowan Atkinson and Billy Bob Thornton was just too good to pass up. This was a light, utterly unbelievable love story, but it was so silly and enjoyable, I just couldn't keep from smiling. And unlike some love stories where the boy and girl are always missing signals and where things finally work out in the end, this movie was blissfully transparent. That's good, because the former genre always has me wanting to jump through the screen to strangle the dumbells, whereas this movie had me celebrating the loving relationships throughout the movie.

This is an absolutely great date film, from the opening frame to the very end.

No comments: