Sunday, November 30, 2003

Gimme Gimme

'Tis the season to hope you get what you really want for the holidays. Yeah, I know. Writing about what I want doesn't seem to be in keeping with the spirit of Christmas. Tough bananas. Growing up in a Jewish household, I didn't celebrate Christmas. Except for the inconvenience of having my favourite TV programs get bumped for Christmas specials, all the holiday meant to me was some time off school. When I grew up and owned my own retail business, it meant I had to expect people to ask for time off during the holidays (beyond the statutory holidays). I didn't mind that either, because before I owned my own business, I was the one asking my boss for time off.

It's only since I got married (outside the faith) that I've really come to detest Christmas. Whether it's because I got married within a year after my business failed, and I've been too "poor" (a relative word, to be sure, but to me "poor" means not having the money to buy whatever I want, whenever I want it) to buy the types of gifts for my wife and children that I'd want them to have, or whether it's because we're too poor for me to get the kinds of gifts I'd really like to have; or whether it's still because of the physical length of the season, and the many disruptions it causes to my routine... it still sucks.

To make things worse, I started getting a pain in my leg two days ago out of the blue. It turns out that after my last blood test, the doctor noticed elevated levels of uric acid and prescribed medication. I didn't get the prescription filled. Now, my wife thinks the pain I'm having is gout; and that the whole thing could have been avoided if I'd taken the meds. So, just when shopping season starts in earnest, and I have to think about getting around to do my Christmas shopping, I can't walk worth a damn.

I've just returned from the pharmacy, having finally filled the prescription (thank goodness I hadn't tossed it). The pharmacist said it should take two to three days for the pain to subside. The info sheet that came with the medication said it could take two to four weeks to notice any effects. It's going to be a long December...

No comments: