Thursday, December 19, 2002

We've all had dreams so vivid, so real, that we almost can't tell they were dreams. Sometimes, my "dreams" are so vivid, they become part of my reality - part of my recollections. And it's only when someone tells me that my recollections are inaccurate do I realize they must have been dreams. But I don't let go of them easily, preferring to believe that my recollections are correct, and the "other person" has merely forgotten.

One such recollection was of an afternoon TV program that featured beautiful young women that were competing to be the "best". I only have two specific recollections of this program...

1) This was a low-budget program, and the judges had been sitting at a standard bingo-hall style table. The camera, facing the judges, had a view not only of their upper torsos, but also of their legs under the table. One of the female contestants was so overtly sexual that a couple of the males judging the contest got boners on-camera. During a hastily called commercial break, the producers of the show added a table cloth to the table.

2) As a 15-year old, I was fascinated with this program. It was very suggestive, probably crossing the border of what could be shown on daytime TV. During the final moments of one particularly exciting competition, I remember a news bulletin cutting in - announcing hostilities and the beginning of a war in Israel.

On and off for the past 20 years or so, I would remember this program and try to figure out what it was called, but no-one seemed to know what I was talking about when I tried to describe it. I couldn't remember anything about the show except for what I said above - so it's not like I was being helpful in spurring anyones' recollections.

Last night, on IMDB.COM, I was looking up the acting credits for Karen Valentine - a regular on Room 222. You guessed it... unbeknownst to me, she had been associated with this "mystery program", and it appeared in her credits. As soon as I saw the name, and saw that this show was on the air during the "Six Day War" in June, 1967, I realized that my recollection was true.

P.S. Looking at the credits for this program, I noticed that a couple of the male game hosts were replaced in June 1967. Could this have been fallout from the incident above?



No comments: