Wednesday, November 27, 2002

God works in mysterious ways. Today is the day I was supposed to receive the last of my new furniture. Yesterday morning, my sister had sent me an email urgently requesting my assistance Wednesday evening - she needed to be elsewhere and had not been able to arrange for her daughter to get a ride home from night school. I told her I would try to arrange for my landlord to be present for the furniture delivery, so I could help her out. Unfortunately, my landlord had other plans and would not be available to help.

I had a bit of a dilemma. I didn't want to say "no" to my sister (who had graciously opened her home to me when I first moved to Toronto); but I also didn't want to miss the delivery and have to fork over extra for a second delivery attempt. I went to work this morning not knowing what I was going to do.

The day was beautiful. I was feeling good, and my progress at work was phenomenol. Everything I tried was working perfectly. Then, around 12:00PM, I started to get a bit of a headache. It wasn't the normal "needs food" headache. The pain was dull but persistent, and I was beginning to get a sore neck as well. I've had my flu shot, so I didn't suspect that, but as time went on, the pain was getting worse, and I also felt feverish. By 1:30PM, I was feeling so ill, I couldn't continue, and asked to go home.

I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. At 5:15PM, I was awoken from a deep sleep by a phone call from my sister. She wanted to know whether I would be picking up her daughter. Before I could answer, I needed to know when Sears was coming for their delivery. My "delivery window" was 6:30-9:00, but I was hoping Sears could give me a narrower timeframe. When I hung up, I saw that I had missed one call. It had been from Sears, a half-hour earlier. Calling them back, I asked whether they could give me a better idea of exactly when the delivery man would be coming. No sooner had I spoken the words, than my doorbell rang....

So now, I have my furniture. The delivery men came more than an hour ahead of the delivery window. In fact, had I been healthy and at work, I would have missed their call (it wouldn't have been my fault, but I still would have had to reschedule the delivery). Instead, I have my furniture, and I have plenty of time to make it to the school to pick up my niece.

No comments: