Thursday, May 01, 2003

Various ramblings

I had a bit of a scare today. It had to do with my archives. After hearing all sorts of horror stories about Blogger archives, and wondering what all the fuss was about, I finally got a taste of the problems myself.

Actually, I haven't been able to successfully "republish" my archives since November. A pesky Java Error was displayed; but since I don't use any Java code that hasn't been in my template for the better part of a year already, I couldn't figure out what could have changed in November. So today, I decided to investigate. Following all the instructions on the Blogger help pages, I tried to unlink, then relink and republish my archives - all to no avail. Then, horror of horrors, when I visited my archive page, I was shocked to see that all the pages since April 2002 had been delisted!

To make a long story short, I tried some unorthodox (i.e. undocumented) methods of attempting to resurrect the archives, and after close to an hour of trying, everything seems to be back in order. The archive page list is up to date, and my last attempt to "republish" all the archives progressed without incident.

Lindsey recently changed her web page template, and I think it's quite attractive. So much so, that I paid a visit to the site of the artist who created her graphics, and I'm seriously considering a facelist - the first since I started blogging.

A facelist, for those who know me, is a radical concept. I'm someone who has used the same barber (not the same barber shop - the same BARBER) since the age of 8 (I'm now over 50). I continue to buy the same style of shoes, year after year, until they go out of production. I eat the same foods every day, and like it that way. I could go on, but you get the idea. I don't embrace change.

So, if I do make a change in my blog template, it will be a major undertaking.

Last weekend, my parents returned from their winter holiday in Phoenix, and this weekend, it's my dad's birthday. I won't be in town to see him until the following weekend (Mother's Day). I'm really looking forward to seeing them. It's been a long, eventful winter.



No comments: