Wednesday, July 02, 2003

The countdown has begun

I've just returned from a very long weekend with my family. It was wonderful. The best news is that my step-son seems to have come to some realization that I haven't been such a bad father after all. It started with the Father's Day card, but has progressed from there. We spent some really good quality time together this weekend, and I came away feeling like I'm truly appreciated as a father. It's a good feeling.

Except for one really hot day, the weather was tolerable over the weekend, which meant that I spent quite a while outdoors with my wife. She is a real water-baby, having a perpetual desire to be in the pool. During the weekend, I took the opportunity to join her for a refreshing swim. The water was a bit chilly (23C), but still enjoyable.

I really didn't want to go back to Toronto; not just because I was having such a good time, but also because I felt quite tired during the evening and dreaded the idea of driving home. I promised my wife that I would pull over for a nap if things got difficult. Well, they did get difficult, quite early in the trip. I stopped for a short (1-1/2 hour) nap after only 140km. Then, after an additional 100km, I stopped again; this time for a longer nap. When I woke up, it was already light enough to see my surroundings. I was concerned about being stuck in rush hour traffic for the remainder of the drive, but luckily, traffic remained reasonably light until about 1km before my highway exit point. Even so, things only slowed from 115kph to about 100kph, so that's not too bad.

By 6:45am I was home, and started catching up with email and such. I was a bit surprised that there was no feedback from my landlord. I had served formal notice to move at the end of August, and expected that a note might have been slipped under my door. We now stand at 61 days before my time in Toronto is done!

No comments: