Saturday, July 19, 2003

Meet the Neighbours

I live in a basement apartment. Sometimes, particularly on weekends, things can get pretty rowdy in the main house. There are two young adults in their 20s, and they like doing the kinds of things young adults do... including throwing parties. Also, these kids received a karaoke machine for Christmas. Being part oriental, they have enjoyed using this machine long beyond the typical new-toy fascination period.

This weekend, my wife is visiting me, and the parents of these kids are out of town. To say that the house is nearly falling down around me would be an understatement. It so happens that I'm pretty good at filtering out most of the noise. In fact, I can't sleep unless there is background noise. My wife, on the other hand, needs absolute quiet to sleep. I would venture that, were it not for the volume of the music upstairs, the tap-tap-tap of my keyboard would be enough to keep her awake (though she's a room away, behind a wall and closed door).

I've decided to wait until midnight before I make my presence known upstairs, and I will be very polite in asking for some silence. However, if the noise continues, my wife won't get any sleep, and will be a total mess tomorrow.

No comments: