Saturday, July 12, 2003

TGIF

I don't think I've looked forward to a Friday as much in years. It was a tough week and for a while, I was a bit scared of losing my job. I think my case of nerves was due to a combination of things... taking on a new car lease and higher insurance premiums; having only six weeks left before saying goodbye to Toronto, and not being able to read my boss' mind as to how secure my job is once I leave town. Ordinarily, I'm confident in my abilities, and feel that I am easily re-employable. But with the economy continuing to be in the doldrums, my confidence isn't all it used to be.

I really enjoy my job, and am looking forward to being able to work from home. But if the company I work for experiences too many weeks like the one just finished, I fear for its long term survival. To be fair, the problems we faced this week have nothing to do with the company, its products, or the employees. We've just had a dickens of a time getting our application to work with a particular brand of database (a problem faced by many software application vendors), and one of our largest customers has made the decision to ditch their current database (one that works perfectly with our application) for this tempermental one. Good news has been difficult to come by, and both my boss and the client are getting very fed up with the resulting problems.

I had hoped that my wife would be visiting this weekend, but since she's driving a rental at the moment, she decided to delay the trip until next weekend. By then, she should have her new car.

No comments: