Wednesday, July 02, 2003

Crashing back to earth

My last post was about the just-finished long weekend, and how much fun I had with my family. As if to remind me that not all is good with the world, I got a phone call tonight from my wife. Our son was involved in an automobile accident. Although I don't have all the details, I can say he was charged. Thank goodness the airbags deployed, leaving our son with (hopefully) minor injuries. The jury is still out on that one, as he is waiting in the hospital emergency room to be examined even as I write this post. But he (and the other driver) both walked away from the accident, so that's good news!

The insurance burden of having a new driver on our vehicle was bad enough, even with a driver's certification discount. Now, all that is over. Statistics say that a single male, under age 25, is a very serious accident risk. Despite the best training and conservative driving technique, one simple mistake will now cost us plenty - for at least the next seven years. It's a hard lesson for a young adult to learn.

No comments: