Friday, July 18, 2003

More positive feedback

Yesterday, I had a frank talk with my boss. It involved details of the logistics involved with the move back home. I asked whether I would be able to take a PC home with me (until now, I had been talking about using my own PC to access the office network remotely, but there are limitations to what applications are available over the network). To my surprise, he told me I would be taking two computers with me... the one I am currently using, as well as a "test" machine onto which I can install and test various versions of our application.

In addition to my normal duties, I've kind of volunteered to be the "installation wizard". I have been creating some sophisticated script-based installation routines that can adapt to virtually any installation platform, and can install other helper applications when necessary (not just our own applications). Unfortunately, since this is being done after hours, and can only be tested during brief down-time at the office, my overall progress has been limited. By allowing me to take a test machine home with me, he's encouraging me to go ahead with my efforts.

With respect to "normal" work responsibilities, I have had to place most of my own assignments on hold while I worked on the monster project that consumed last week and much of this week. Once that was completed, I had to return to my own tasks. My boss had been concerned that I may have lost my train of thought, having been away from that task for so long. He needn't have worried. I'm very focused, and after finally being able to return full-time to my real assignment, I finished it off today. This will no doubt please him to no end, since we can now ship (and bill for) the new feature.

No comments: