Thursday, October 30, 2003

Gee, I never knew I cared

It's always wonderful when friends tell you (in confidence of course) that you have bad breath or body odors. It gives you the opportunity to practice self-improvement without embarassment. When they get a bit more personal, like sending emails which imply my manhood might need extension, it gets a bit more dicey. And when the emails come from yourself, it really makes you wonder whether you've been emailing in your sleep.

Over the past couple of days, I've received emails that have made it through my spam filter. Probably because the sender was none other than myself.

Like most prudent web users, I use several email accounts. Doing so allows me to monitor my sources of spam. If, say, my "bestguyontheplanet@freemailaccount.com" starts becoming a source of spam, I know that the webmasters at "toysforgrownmenwithnolife.com" have sold my name. You get the idea. So, it becomes particularly annoying when I start receiving spam with my PRIMARY EMAIL ACCOUNT showing up as the sender.

Although I don't use that account to send mail to strangers (as a rule), there have been times when I've clicked on a "contact" link in a webpage. Since my default email address is my main one, I guess that could account for it being sent into the world without a proper shield. So, I guess I'll have to be more careful and set my default address to be one of my throwaway accounts.

By the way, if you receive an email from me advising you that your manhood needs extension, I was only kidding.

No comments: