Sunday, October 05, 2003

Yom Kippur

Yom Kippur is upon me once again. This year, being back in Windsor, I get to spend the day with my family in synagogue. Tonight was Kol Nidre, and I must say I was impressed with the sermon offered by our rabbi. Truth be told, I almost always like his sermons. As a relatively young rabbi (the first rabbi I've ever had that is younger than I am - I guess that's a sign of aging), he uses fairly "hip" language, and appeals to my own sensibilities. He gave a sermon tonight on the reasons behind the Kol Nidre prayer in the middle ages, and how that same motivation still holds for us today. It was fascinating.

I've found during the past several years that I've become intolerant of the kibbitzing that goes on in the pews. While I'm listening intently, trying to follow along in my prayerbook, other people who haven't spoken since the previous year are catching up on old news - in voices that could not, under any circumstances, be called whispers. As my father ages, he is beginning to be one of those kibbitzers, and it bothers me. I am embarassed by his outbursts, because he has his full faculties - it's not like he doesn't know what he's doing. Yet, it is still so pleasant to be there with him, that I can't bring myself to say anything to him - beyond the raised forefinger I bring to my lips in a silent rebuke.

The situation in Israel these days is scaring me. I'm scared not for specific people (my sister and her daughter left Israel two years ago, so there's no one there I need to be fearful about), but for the peace process. I'm not a dove, by any stretch of the imagination. But the hawks are becoming so prevalent, I'm afraid there will come a time when all-out war will be the only option open to the politicos of the region.

I'm rambling, I know. But I just have so many things going through my head. Oh well, I guess I should head to bed... otherwise, I may start to think about food.

No comments: