Thursday, May 13, 2004

1 in a million

I've always said my dad is special. Now, just a week after his 84th birthday, I have conclusive proof. Stevens/Johnson Syndrome, developed in 1.1 of every million surgical patients, seems to be the diagnosis-du-jour for my dad's condition. Seeing him in the hospital yesterday, with open wounds on his face, arms, neck, and body, brought me close to tears. For a man who's suffered through Buchenwald concentration camp, prostate cancer, triple-bypass surgery, and most recently, congestive heart failure and a pacemaker implant, seeing him complain of "burning lips" seemed like a petty reaction to what I thought was a simple allergic reaction to medication.

Now, as I read about the symptoms of Stevens/Johnson Syndrome, and how the symptoms are akin to those in severe burn patients, I understand his pain. And I am hopeful that he will see his way clear to allowing the hospital staff to properly treat this condition. Again, according to what I've read, the treatment may involve a hospital stay of several weeks, as doctors attempt to stabilize the condition, rehydrate the affected areas, and re-introduce the lost nutrients to his system. I've read there may be permanent eye damage resulting from this condition, though I am hopeful this does not come to pass. I must say that his initial symptoms were diagnosed as an eye infection and thrush, for which he was given medications which now turn out to have done more harm than good.