Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Gambling man

Before going to bed early Saturday morning, I had emailed my sisters about my dad's condition, then tried to get some sleep. My mom was the first to call. She woke me before 9:00AM to ask what room my dad was in. Although I gave her the information she wanted, I also told her she could have found out just as easily from the hospital. I guess I snapped at her, but I was tired. I fell asleep again. Less than an hour later, my sister called to let me know she had called the hospital, and my dad had gotten through the morning OK. I went back to sleep again, and stayed there until noon, when my wife woke me up to go to lunch.

After lunch, I visited the hospital and stayed until nearly dinner time. I probably should have changed my plans, but we had made arrangements to have guests to our home for the holiday weekend, and we didn't want to change our plans at the last minute. Still, I had gotten a chance to see my dad for a good few hours.

Sunday morning, my sister called. She reported that dad had taken a turn for the worse, and that the infections ravaging his body had now infected his blood. Doctors were only giving him a 50/50 chance to survive the next 48 hours. I called my baby sister in Toronto, and told her to get herself to Windsor. Then I called my dad to let him know I'd be visiting him later in the day. I couldn't make out what he said in response.

Sunday afternoon, after my wife returned from church, and after we had eaten lunch, she asked whether she could accompany me to the hospital. I know that she doesn't like hospitals, and is having a tough time dealing with the aging of our respective parents. Still, I agreed that she should come. My wife is a beautiful soul, and her smile exudes love. As she stood by my father's side and held his hand, he looked lovingly at her. I'm sure he was feeling the love she brings to my life, and was celebrating the fact that I would have a wonderful partner to see me through my old age. While she held his hand, I massaged his legs and feet, bringing sensation to his extremities. He really seemed to enjoy the rub.

This visit wasn't as long as I would have liked, but we again had things that needed to get done, so my wife and I left after a couple of hours.

Later that night, my baby sister called to let me know she had arrived in town. I think she might have visited the hospital on Sunday evening, but I wasn't there, so I can't say for sure.

No comments: