Thursday, May 27, 2004

My dad is getting better - slowly

Unbelievable! My dad has such a will to live, I just can't believe it! On Tuesday, I was at the hospital at 2:00PM. I had hoped to leave at 8:00PM, but my dad specifically asked that I stay. He had been coughing terribly - those wet, wheezy, mucousy coughs that signalled some sort of chest infection. And his limbs were bloated with edema. I didn't leave the hospital until 11:00PM, and only then, after ensuring that the nursing staff had set up emergency suction, in case my dad started to choke on his own phlegm.

Imagine my relief when I arrived at 2:00PM Wednesday, to see him breathing without wheezing (though still with an assist from an oxygen feed). I noticed that the only time he choked was when he inadvertently tried to take nutrition through a straw and ended up breathing in the food (rather than sucking it in) through his straw. By evening, he was able to speak a bit more clearly, and tried to give us (my sister and I) a show of his sense of humour.

So, I was able to leave at 8:00PM with a clear conscience, and the knowledge that he will most likely make it through tonight with little discomfort.

No comments: