Saturday, May 08, 2004

Post-op complications

I swear, nothing seems to go easy these days. I posted on Wednesday night (actually early Thursday morning) on just how well my dad looked at the hospital. He was smiling, joking, flirting with the nurses, and that twinkle in his eye was shining at full strength. I visited him at home on Thursday evening, after he had been released from the hospital, and I swear someone switched his body for someone else.

His voice was gravelly - so different than what he usually sounds like, and his face and lips were so puffy he was barely recognizable. Apparently, things didn't get any better on Friday, so when the home-visitation nurse came to check on him, she commented to my sister that the swelling in his face wasn't normal. My sister took dad to an after-hours clinic last night, and apparently, he's having some sort of allergic reaction to the pain and/or antibiotic medications he was given after his release. So now, he's taking even more pills to combat the allergic effects of the other medication.

And all these medications are now in addition to the 16 other pills he's been taking on a daily basis since his pacemaker implant. I thank God he has the wits to keep his medications straight, and the will-to-live to keep taking them all. It's really painful to see him looking so strange, and of course, I think he's feeling discomfort, which makes it all the more intolerable. I'll be so happy when he's gotten over the hump and returns to normal.

No comments: