Sunday, June 20, 2004

Father's Day weekend

My father's day weekend started early, with a family trip to honour my wife's dad. We invited her parents for a day out at Colasanti's in Leamington. I think the last time we visited there was last mother's day. Anyway, the day was very enjoyable. On the way there, I phoned my own dad at the hospital. I was so impressed with his recovery. For the first time in several weeks, he sounded like he had some energy. His voice sounded strong and intelligible. I should explain that last point... my dad has been very weak and during part of his treatment, he has been receiving nourishment through IV's. In that time, he hasn't had much liquid through his mouth, so his tongue and throat have been somewhat dry. This made it difficult for him to speak intelligibly. It sounded like when you're in the dentist chair with your mouth open and you're trying to make yourself understood. For someone with a trained ear, you can be understood, but to someone who isn't used to it, it's difficult to understand.

Anyway, I had no trouble understanding what he was saying. I told him I'd try to make it to the hospital on Saturday, but the day in Leamington went on for quite a bit longer than I originally thought it would, so there was just no time to visit my dad. Sunday (father's day proper) will be my opportunity to see him.

My cold symptoms had been pretty much receding until moments ago. I have just now started getting a bit of a runny nose. I don't know if it's because I haven't slept in quite some time, or if I still have the remnants of a cold. I so desperately want to see my dad, I think I'll just ask for a mask before I enter the room.

No comments: