Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Where have you hidden my father?

The man in my dad's bed didn't appear to be the same person I've grown used to seeing over these past weeks. The man I saw yesterday was awake, alert, and had an appetite. He had no SJS rash, no noticeable breathing impairment. In addition, he had a voice and wasn't shy about using it. I tried to help him take a drink, only to be rebuffed so he could do it himself. When I casually remarked to a nurse that he might need physical therapy to recover lost muscle tone, he made a mock fist to "punch me in the nose" - a clear sign that the spirit had begun to return.

When I left him last night, it was just after the nurse had taken his vital signs. Except for a bit of continuing "crackle sounds" in the lungs, all were in the "healthy" range, including his blood-oxygen level, which was at 95% without aid of oxygen or a blood transfusion. With signs like this, I think they'll be transfering him back to a hospital room sometime soon. I only hope he gets the same level of attention he got in the ICU, since it's this extra level of attention that I'm sure is responsible for this second miraculous step back from the brink.

No comments: