Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Surprising turn of events

I suppose if I was a medical professional, I would know these things. Unfortunately, I'm not, so it came as quite a shock today when I visited the hospital and saw my dad with no IV tube. He's had a continuous stream of IVs for hydration and antibiotics, but they had been discontinued as of today. When I asked why, the answer was almost too obvious. It seems there is just as much danger in continuing antibiotic treatments for too long as there is in discontinuing them before you're supposed to. So, for a few days at least, my dad won't be receiving any medication beyond what he would take if he were at home.

He's still on oxygen, and that's good, because his chart indicated his oxygenation had become worse overnight. His blood-sugar is still very high, and it's believed the infection is the cause of that (since the diminishing doses of steroids were discontinued yesterday). The rash has gotten worse since the last time I saw my dad, although his face has totally cleared up. He was supposed to have a bone marrow test today, but the doctor didn't show up, so he'll have that tomorrow instead.

My dad was quite tired this evening, and hadn't eaten much during the day, although he did have a small glass of milk and half an ice-cream cup. Hopefully, his appetite will return tomorrow.

No comments: